Thursday 17 May 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Every thursday, Booking Through Thursday poses a question about books. Today's question is:

"It happens even to the best readers from time to time… you close the cover on the book you’re reading and discover, to your horror, that there’s nothing else to read. Either there’s nothing in the house, or nothing you’re in the mood for. Just, nothing that “clicks.” What do you do?? How do you get the reading wheels turning again?"

I have never, to date, not had a book-in-waiting. I always have at least three or four books "next in line" to be read.

I do, however, suffer occasionally from not clicking with anything I have. When this happens I go back to an old favourite. The Dark Materials trilogy from Philip Pullman, the Diana Gabaldon series, the Ayla books by Jean Auel or the Shellseekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. I have read all of these several times.

Failing that - I read a beach-trash novel. When completed, my brain is ready to go back to something that stretches the grey matter a little further!

To change the subject a little, a question to those who have read the Philip Pullman trilogy, are you excited about the Golden Compass film released later this year? I am torn between utter excitement and true fear that it won't match up to the book!

Blessings to all
Daisy Cat xx

3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I've never been a big reader, no matter how often I tell myself "Oh! I will definitely read that again." Maybe I will, of course, but I've rarely been tempted.

I do mix up genres or book types now and then to keep myself from getting tired of one particular type of book.

Anonymous said...

You are similar to me in your reading I think. I love The Dark Materials trilogy and it a series I can go back to when nothing else clicks. Trashy books are also great for filling those gaps.

I am torn as well. I am not sure about the actors that have been chosen, but I will go and see it no matter the reviews and make up my own mind.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.