Tuesday 8 May 2007

Words!

I love words - English, French, Spanish - well, in any language really. English was my favourite subject at school. I also love to read - books, magazines, newspapers, websites, blogs, the list goes on.

I have favourite words. Effervescence, giggle, bubbles - the word changes, depending on my mood, the weather or even the day of the week. I have found that most people do, if you raise the subject in conversation.

One of my favourite websites is www.dictionary.com. They offer a daily email giving you their word of the day. They send some amazing words, but 90% of them I have never managed to fit into an everyday conversation! I must visit this website at least three times a week, as I hate to not know what the definition of a word is.

This problem with having a love of words is that it led into a love of fonts, especially when it comes to scrapbooking. I have an uncountable number of fonts installed on my computer, but choosing the right one for a particular page has become a bit a nightmare. If anyone has any hints or tips on how they choose a font for any given situation, I would love to hear them.

I am going to leave you with my favourite word of all time so far: triskaidekaphobia. This literally means "the fear of Friday 13th" but has also come to mean "the fear of the number 13". As my birthday falls on Friday 13th in certain years (and the 13th every year) it would be very difficult for me to suffer from this phobia and still celebrate my birthday!

Blessing to all.
Daisy Cat xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, fellow wordie! Let me suggest another site you will probably enjoy:
A Word A Day.

As for fonts, I'm a designer, so I think there can never be too many choices. I choose, partly, by the feeling I get when I look at the font - intuition of sorts.